Close Menu


Sign language interpreters are professional who assist with communication between individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing and use sign language and individuals who do not use sign language.  In the US most sign language interpreters use American Sign Language (ASL).  However, other types of interpreters such as Certified Deaf Interpreters (CDI), tactile interpreters, or Cued Speech interpreters may be needed in addition to or instead of ASL interpreters depending on the communication needs of the individuals involved.

To locate an interpreter, contact the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) at (703)838-0030 V, (703)838-0459 TTY  or use the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf's Find Interpreter Agency/Referral Service.